Batanes is not some version of some other country’s place. Batanes is THE BATANES.
Going to Batanes has been my dream since I was a kid. Almost everyone I know who has visited the place always brings home good stories about how beautiful Batanes is.
Flight to Batanes costs as much as going outside the country so this place is a bit not that easy to go to. There are actually lots of blog posts telling you how to lower your expenses. Well, I got a 7.5K promo flight from Skyjet (some tell me it could really go low). I alloted money for my Batanes trip. It is not just a regular trip wherein you starve yourself just to prove to the world that you can actually spend less in Batanes. Technically, you can, but I believe preparing financially for this trip will really help you enjoy your stay in Batanes.
Batanes is the north-most province of the Philippines. There are thee main Islands – Batan (Main Island), Sabtang, Itbayat. You will fly in the town of Basco (capital and center of Commerce).
Batanes has 6 towns: Batan Island (Basco, Ivana, Uyugan, Mahatao), Sabtang and Itbayat.
Visiting Batan Island will be divided into two: North Tour and South Tour. Sabtang Island will also be a separate trip. Itbayat is much more challenging as you will be forced to stay overnight in the Island with no assurance that tomorrow’s weather will allow your boat to return to Batan Island.
I highly suggest that you go on a tour with the local tour groups. The tour groups in Batanes are highly organized by the DoT of the province and is one of the key sources of income of the people of Batanes. You may leave some of the backpacker spirit and enjoy the convenience of joining a tour.
BISUMI TOUR and SERVICES
SMART – 0919-2795-963, GLOBE – 0915-8034-582
Day 1: North Batan Island [Starts 2PM] (Click Link)
- Basco Town tour
- Vayang Rolling Hills (Good for Sunset)
- Lighthouse in Naidi Hills
- Boulder Beach in Chanpan Valugan
- WWII Japanese Hideout/Tunnel
- Basco Idjang Viewing
- Fundacion Pacita Nature Lodge
- PAGASA “Tukon” Radar Station
- Mt. Carmel Chapel
Day 2: South Batan (Click Link)
- Walking tour at Paderes Point and Cliff Road
- Chawa Viewing Deck
- Mahatao Boat Shelter Port
- Mahatao Town Tour
- San Carlos Borromeo Churcha and Blank Book Archive
- Mahatao Spanish Lighthouse
- Mahatao Sumhao Windmill (quick view)
- Mahatao Tayid Lighthouse
- Alapad Hills and Rock Formation
- Lo-Ran Old Naval Base
- San Lorenzo Ruiz Chapel in Imnajbu
- Our Lady of Miraculous Medal in Itbud
- Ruins of Song-song and (Batanes Movie, House Scene)
- Motchong Viewpoint (Uyugan Municipal Park)
- San Antonino de Florencia Church in Uyugan
- Honesty Store
- San Jose de Ivana Church and Ruins
- House of Dakay and Old Spanish Bridge
- White Beach and Hohmoron Lagoon
Day 3: Sabtang Island (Click Link)
You need to take a boat to go to Sabtang Island.
- San Vicente Ferrer Church
- Malakdang Lighthouse
- Sinakan Stone Houses
- Brgy. Savidug Stone Houses
- Sto. Thomas Chapel
- Lime Kiln
- Savidug Idjang Viewing
- Refreshments at Chamantad-Tinyan Viewpoint
- Brgy. Chavayan Stone Houses
- Souvenir Shopping/Picture taking (Ivatan headgears)
- Sabtang Weavers Association
- Sta. Rosa De Lima Chapel
- Nakabuang Cave
- Ahaw (Natural Limestone Arc Formation)
- Morong Beach
Day 4: Leave Batanes
Expenses (excluding flight):
Meal: ~250/person/day x 4 days (there are carinderias for your breakfast and dinner) = Php1000
Lodging: 350/person/day x 3 nights = Php1,050
Water, Addtl Food, Pasalubong: Php 500
For your payment convenience, pay the tour in advance so you will just have to think of your ‘survival’ money. Please note that you have to bring cash! Bring extra cash just in case your flight gets cancelled due to bad weather condition.